Monday, April 16, 2007

The following post is one I wrote last year in Ireland. Having lost my Grandmom last week, I take comfort in memories during this time of grief.

One of my earliest memories of Grandmom is a Sunday morning when she and Grandfather drove down to our old house on Lightning Lane, bearing donuts, no less! I remember climbing up on the chair next to Grandmom and reaching my little grubby hand into the white box of decadence. Jelly donuts were like gold to me as a child. Grandmom cut mine in half and i proceeded to lick the jelly out, getting powdered sugar virtually everywhere. As I munched away and Grandfather caught up with my Mom and Dad, Grandmom whispered to me, "Tell Grandfather he's full of baloney." "GRANDFATHER!" I shrieked, interrupting he and my parents: "You're full of baloney!!!" He mocked horror at my declaration, Grandmom laughed, and my mom yelled at me.
I will forever associate Grandmom with sweets, which my sisters and I were deprived in our daily lives. Trips to Grandmom's house meant the CANDY DISH: a never-ending supply of jelly beans, mint leaves, and chocolates. Velvetta cheese and ritz crackers. Chocolate milk. Cooper-sharp. Tea Cooler. When Grandmom would come a stay a few days with us when my parents went away, it was a Tastykake party! No matter what "junk food" my Mom would buy in preparation for her anticipated arrival, Grandmom still arrived with an armload of sugary goodness. Tastycakes and Cooper- sharp cheese; my sisters and I were never happier. When I collected dolls as a kid, I remember going with Grandmom and my mom to the Doll Hospital to fix a few antiques. When I first became interested in the Kennedys, Grandmom was one of the first to assist my obsession, letting me climb through the den and route around for books. She was the only person who could rival my excitement for Jackie Kennedy dolls. When I was in college, Grandmom and I had laundry parties (where I'd come over with a hefty bag full of dirty clothes) having all intentions of completing the task in one night, but never finishing the job; she would always finish for me. One night, Jenny and I came over and we watched Miss America and tore the contestants apart. Jenny had such a good time she asked Grandmom to move in with us in Manayunk. Just last summer, when I was working in Chester (God-forbid), I would frequently come have lunch with Grandmom. Those were some of my favorite memories. We got to chatting about Grandfather and Great Aunts and Uncles that I never knew all that well. I loved learning more about her, Grandfather, and my family. Also the photos were priceless. One of her best friends Mrs. Gallagher frequently joined us and often shook her head at Grandmom's stubbornness, referring to her as "Irish to the core"- a phrase I never forgot. (I believe it was taken as a compliment, though it was certainly not intended that way). Grandmom is one of the strongest women I have ever met, and I am so thankful to count her as a role model in my life (and especially thankful for her sweet tooth).

No comments: